In order to realize the directions of the Lord Shree Swaminarayan contained in Shloka 132 of ‘Shiksha-Patri’, Educational services in the Kachchh region were started in the year 1944 by Sadgugu Swami Shri Vallabhdasji the Mahant Swami of Shree Swaminarayan temple, Bhuj-Kachchh. The next Mahant of the temple Sadguru Dharmjivandasji Swami expanded the purview of the work and many Vidyalayas were started after inaugurating the same by H.H. Shri Acharya Maharaj Tejendraprasadji Maharaj. Thereafter Mahant Swami Hariswaroopdasji Swami got constructed a number of educational complexes and institutes in the whole Kachchh region. As a part thereof, on the pious day of 08/04/1999 Shri Swaminarayan Gurukul was started at Rapar in the arid region of Vagad in Kachchh district. The administration of the Gurukul was entrusted with the Trust consisting of Sadguru Harijivandasji, Sadguru Balkrishnadasji Swami and Sadguru Purani Haribaldasji Swami. The trust delegated the powers of administration of the Gurukul to their learned disciple Shastri Swami Vigyanswaroopdasji and the work proceeded further.
When the saints take up the challenge of development of the arid region like this, how can the government administration remain legging behind? from the bottom to the top the whole government administration rendered praiseworthy services and supported the task excellently. In the year 2001 the land was acquired for the Gurukul. Thereafter on Saturday 11/08/2001 Shraavan Sud 7 (Shitala Satam), under the chairmanship of Mr.Dhirubhai Gajera, the Honourable the Speaker of the State Assembly, Bhoomi-poojan was performed by the elder saint Dharmkishordasji Swami of Bhuj temple and Khat-Muhurt was performed by His excellency the Governor of Gujarat Shri Sundersinh Bhandari.
During Khat-Muhurt preparations, sprinkling of the nectar of rain symbolizing the raining in Laxmiswaroop forecast the development the task under hand. Small and big donors of Kachchh region residing in the country and in abroad donated about Rs.1 crore. Simultaneously with donation of blood by Pujya Shri Balkrishnaswami, the blood donation Shibir started and in all 108 blood donations were accomplished. In the freedom from addiction campaign thousands of people got rid of their addictions. The saints, the devotees, the Chairperson of the Sabha, His Excellency the Governor, and the Collector performed plantation.
Education work continued in the temporary building for about two years. During the said period Prayer Hall, Bhojan Khand (Dinining Hall), school, hostel etc. were constructed at the cost of Rs.6 crore. On completion of the construction work of the educational complex, with the blessings of H.H. 1008 Shri Acharya Maharaj Shri Tejendraprasadji Maharaj, Mahant Swami Hariswaroopdasji and the donors inaugurated the educational complex on 15/05/2004. On this occasion Non Resident Indian devotees of Baldia (Kachchh) and residing in London organized diagnosis of all diseases camp in a grand manner and served the poor people of the region by spending Rs.25 lacs. SEWA, International U.K., the Non-Government Organization based at London and the devotee Shri Laljibhai Khirabhai Shah declared their services-cum-donation of Rs.4 lacs and Rs.50 lacs respectively for the construction of the third educational complex.
In the year 2002 the Gurukul was started with 36 students in 5th standard. But now about 300 students are obtaining education up to 10th standard and the Gurukul is marching ahead with 100%. The institute has also been running a P.T.C. College.
There is also a study centre of Babasaheb Ambedakar Open University (B.A.O.U.) in the institute wherein Computer Courses of CCC, CIC, CPCS, CFN, CCD and graduate courses like B.P.P., B.A., B.Com. and post graduation courses like M.A. are being offered to the students as external courses wherein about 200 to 250 students are obtaining education in a distance mode while doing their job and performing their duties at their work places.
Sadguru Balkrishnaswami and his disciple Shastri Vigyanswaroopdasji have been looking after the administration of this institute and all the saints have been supporting the administration tremendously.